Okay, it’s not Friday. But let’s pretend.
Plus, this post should kind of explain for itself why it’s happening on a Saturday.
For the past several months, I’ve been super, super busy with writing and photography work – something you’ll never hear me complain about. But it’s meant that just about every moment of my “free” time (naptimes, evenings, what-have-yous) has been taken up with doing work or thinking about work. I’m almost finished with a couple of big projects, and I’m looking forward to declaring myself on maternity leave in the next couple of weeks, just in time to rest and nest and get ready for this baby.
So, without further ado, may I present to you…
Five Things I’m Going to Do on Maternity Leave
1. Take some self-portraits. I’ve been dying to get out my camera and tripod and take some photos of this sweet bump, and time is ticking away. So when this work is done, I’m using a naptime ASAP to document this belly for posterity. And for my own enjoyment, too.
2. Nap. I’m not even going to explain this. I’m tired.
3. Read a book (or two). I’ve got two books lined up that I’m dying to get started on, but I’ve exhibited ridiculous will power (if I do say so myself) and not cracked them open because I KNOW I won’t want to put them down. One is The Hunger Games (I know, I know, I’m way behind). The other is called Prototype, and it’s the first book by one of my favorite writers/thinkers/theologians, Jonathan Martin.
4. Go on a babymoon. It won’t be much – just a night away – but we’re dropping Adlai off at his grandparents’ house in a couple of weeks and going to a hotel for a night. We’re going to sleep, go swimming, go out for a nice meal, and then sit in a coffee shop and read for several uninterrupted hours.
5. Indulge in these nesting urges I’ve been having for weeks but haven’t had the time to act on. I want to get baby clothes out of the attic, finish up a couple of art projects for my walls, get our bedroom feeling like a tranquil getaway (just in time to be invaded by a newborn), and throw away a whole bunch of junk. I can. not. wait.
Oh, also, write some blog posts I’ve been listing for weeks. Which I realize is a sixth thing, but I haven’t put a number on it, so…
Five Things! Woo!